A needed overture

This morning I was awoken not by sirens or random people shouting, but by the call of a Carolina Wren.  It then gave way to church bells ringing, then to my housemate turning on the shower, and ultimately into the usual anthropogenic noise of a groggy Monday morning.

Yet I felt at peace hearing that bird singing in the back yard, and I wonder how many people have the chance to slow down and listen to a Carolina Wren or other sounds of nature first thing in the morning?

Probably not a whole lot of people appreciate those subtleties.  Or maybe it's more than just the fact that they can't or won't appreciate something like that - maybe it's a sign of their disconnect from nature, and their disconnect from the world around them.

Perhaps I'm being over-analytical.  I still think, though, that waking up to the call of a backyard songbird is a necessary overture to anyones workweek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy City Cactus: Eastern Prickly Pear Cactus

Virginia Pineapple? The fascinating family of Bromeliaceae

Natural Notes: Native Sunflowers