Natural thoughts: A naturalist in the city

I work in a large and urban forest preserve system that surrounds most of the city of Chicago.   When I ask my coworkers where they are from or where they live, unsurprisingly they come from places outside of the city where there is more open space and less congestion and noise than in the heart of the city.  "I really don't like big cities." says one of the naturalists I work with at a south-suburban nature center operated by the forest preserves.  "I'll sometimes go into the city for a conference or an event, but otherwise my wife and I stay out of the city."

"Woa, you're RIGHT IN the city, then!" says another coworker during a meeting when I tell her where I am living.  "Yep," I reply sheepishly.

I don't blame my coworkers for avoiding the city.  Obviously, Chicago is not a well suited environment for naturalists who enjoy pristine green space and peace and quiet.  Yet I am always someone who has enjoyed the conveniences of city living and the peacefulness of more remote areas.

Chicago is different, though.  In other big cities I've lived in, such as Pittsburgh or Washington, DC, it is possible for me to sip an expensive latte at a trendy cafe one moment while the next I can take a hike down a wooded path with a view of a waterfall.  That's because other cities I've lived in have an unusual blending of nature and urbanness that seem to offer the best of both worlds (see figure 1). Chicago, on the other hand, is situated on flat and glaciated terrain that has a much more urban and industrial aesthetic not unlike most Mid-West cities (figure 2).
Figure 1:  The DC area offers urban parks that include high quality natural areas adjacent to otherwise urban environments that offer a peaceful escape from city life.   This photo shows the Potomac River with the skyline of downtown Arlington.  
Figure 2:  The Chicago River has an artificial and industrial aesthetic that is attractive to some but likely does not appeal to most naturalists or other natural resource management professionals.  Most of Chicago's urban parks and greenways are "well exposed" to urban environments.

But I like some of the advantages of living in the city.  Enough that I do not wish to move out the suburbs.  I like being able to meet new people, try new foods, take public transportation instead of driving, dance at nightclubs, and take advantage of many other conveniences and entertainment options that suburbs just don't seem to offer. But I also miss the lush greenery and variable terrain of past places I've lived in.  Given Chicago's steely atmosphere, I confess that my coworkers qualms about city life are justifiable.

But I guess for now I'll be in the minority.  I prefer living in the city.  I hope my feet don't become too sore from all of the concrete that they must cross...

Figure 3:  A wintery scene of the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, PA., offering a blend of naturally wooded hillsides and cityscapes.  Photo by Andrii Cherniak.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windy City Cactus: Eastern Prickly Pear Cactus

Virginia Pineapple? The fascinating family of Bromeliaceae

Natural Notes: Native Sunflowers